[Greenbuilding] Super-efficient school buildings

sanjay jain sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 10:09:48 CDT 2015

Some things that come to mind (in no particular order):
1) The building should not only be green, but promote green values. The kids (and local community) should understand why this is important. It is worth involving the local community in this discussion.
2) You can have super efficient design, but if folks leave doors and windows open, it's kind of pointless. Schools often leave the doors wide open a few times a day to let kids in and out. This is needs to be taken in to account.

3) Energy recovery ventilation - due to the number of people in the building it needs to be ventilated well
4) Water related things: Rain water collection, Grey water management, Compositing toilets, Waterless urinals
5) Energy efficient lighting: LED bulbs, Avoid recessed lighting, Solar tubes
6) Thermal mass  - use building and stored water, even a swimming pool!
7) Atriums - great for letting kids play in during bad weather, and capture solar heat. Perhaps have the main entrances to the school go the an atrium
8) Promote plant based eating at the school.
~sanjay ----
If people in glass houses didn't throw stones, we'd all be living in glass houses!