[Digestion] waste water ->was-> Re Digestate as fertilizer

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:23:56 CST 2010

Dear Bennet,
I hope that you are not being sarcastic. The soap and detergent in the bath
and wash water are biodegradable. In many developing countries, the houses
are not connected to a common drainage system for carrying away the waste
water. In such cases, people generally use the grey water for irrigating
their kitchen garden, or just let such water flow into a patch of land in
which plants like banana, arums, etc. are grown, which can stand a bit of
water logging.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:29 AM, <bennett at frognet.net> wrote:

> > Depending upon the season, it requires daily from 250 to 400 litres
> water,
> > which can be the wash- and bath water generated by the household.
>
> So..... the various soaps - laundry, dish, bath - won't kill the bacteria
> in the digester?  Wow!  What possibilities this bit of knowledge opens up!
>  I'm excited now, since the water shortage was really hindering my goal oft
> having a digester produce methane to run a generator.

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *