[Digestion] Compressing of biogas

bingham bingham at zekes.com
Tue Nov 23 14:36:30 CST 2010

On the ranch where I lived as a child: the water system was a stream from the top of a small mountain.  We placed a black
poly plastic pipe in the water at the top and ran it to a tank at the house near the bottom of the mountain.
 The excess water ran to the pond. We were repairing the tank one summer (years later) and turned the valve
at the bottom the black pipe line off ,for the first time. In a short time the valve blew off.

It gave me the idea to hooking the line directly to the house and eliminating the water pressure pump. The water lines
continued to burst from the water pressure. It turned out the water was over 100PSI and the water heater was
always full of high pressure air. As the water was pulled into the pipe at the top by the siphoning action of water falling
due to gravity (energy source), it was pulling in air. As the air and water (liquid) mixture  traveled down the pipe the
weight of the water compressed the air (the gas). I eventually placed pressure reducing valves in the plastic line.
The old rock quarry up the canyon from the house used steam to power the saws and drills.I originally put an old steam
tank in the  pipe to remove the air but the pressure pop off kept  blowing. I rebuild one of the old flywheels that ran the
belt saws and hooked it to the compressed air coming from the steam tank. I thought I would start the quarry
and get rich but that never paid off. I found an old electric generator and hooked it to the belt and we had nearly
free electricity.  One idea lead to an other and several things developed.

This all took years but it resulted in a lot of research and a few more ideas of on gravity, hydraulic pressure and how
it could be used. The world is full of old mines and mountains. Finding the liquid is a problem. You do not always have
water at the top of a mountain or at a mine opening. Developing  better ways to separate the liquid form the Gas has
been  a long process.  You must be in the right place to apply the process. There are many versions and variations
that can be applied to many energy dependant systems. We used this process to pump water out of a flooded mine.
Turns out old fashioned water pumps that ran on steam are very practical to run on compressed air.

Brent