[Digestion] Digestion Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29

finstein at envsci.rutgers.edu finstein at envsci.rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 8 14:29:56 CDT 2010

It is interesting to compare the flow of carbon in the ruminant with that
of the anaerobic digester. In the animal the main source of methane is
H2/CO2; little comes from acetate. The acetate passes through the
intestinal wall to enter the bloodstream, where it is aerobically
metabolized as a primary carbon and energy source. That's the "idea" of
being a ruminant. In the AD, approx. 2/3 of the methane comes from acetate
and most of the remainder from H2/CO2. Where else would the acetate and
other simple breakdown products go?

Mel