[Digestion] Digestate comparison to liquid worm castings

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Mon Dec 5 08:51:32 CST 2011

Jim,

We have applied digestate from cows to the leading edge of the worm worm
bin (where fresh waste goes) and we have not seen worms die or a reduction
in their consumption.  This was with low doses.  We have never applied it
directly onto worms, but it does not surprise me that it would kill them or
have a negative effect.  We are trying to determine whether or not worms
will then destroy any pathogens or if the biol has a positive effect on the
quality of the worm castings.  We are two months in,
with preliminary results suggesting a reduction in pathogens, and nothing
definitive regarding quality based on high levels of fluctuation.

Best,

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Jim McNelly <jim at composter.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Wayne Zschech <
> waynezschech at calvarychapel.com> wrote:
>
>> G'day All!
>>
>> I know that the quality of the liquid digestate as a fertiliser depends
>> on the type of feedstock ingredients. However, as a generalisation (or with
>> specifics) how does our liquid digestate compare to liquid worm castings?
>> Is the digestate even close to the 'potency' of the worm castings?  Also
>> when comparing the standard NPK values of inorganic fertiliser is there a
>> rule of thumb that allows digestate to 'compete' with them even though the
>> NPK values are much higher in the inorganic fertiliser?  This will help me
>> in talking to farmers when talk about the benefits of our product as
>> instead of fresh manure or chemicals.
>>
>> Blessings,
>> Wayne
>>
>> ___
>

>> Have you actually tried to take the filtrate or digestate and feed it
>> directly to earthworms? I have. It kills them within hours.  You can
>> analyze it all you want, but just do this one thing.  Actually feed it to
>> earthworms and see for yourself what happens.
>

> --
> Jim McNelly
>
> Renewable Carbon Management, LLC
> 44 28th Ave N Suite J
> Saint Cloud MN 56303
> 320-253-5076
>
> www.composter.com
>

> Confidentiality Statement:
> This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
> information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the
> intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If
> you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of
> the message and its attachments and notify us immediately.

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa
IRRI-Mexico
RedBioLAC