[Digestion] Biogas conversation rates

bingham bingham at zekes.com
Wed Jan 19 19:07:56 CST 2011

Alexander,
If we were talking about bread  instead of oil and I deducted the cost of the flour and the gas to cook it, from my taxes would that mean
my bread is subsidized? We have been converting contaminated grain and feed into ETOH alcohol since the early 70's. It costs more in
natural gas to distill than it is worth. The  US government pays us 45 cents per gallon as an actual subsidy over and above the real tax deductible
costs. The government then turns around and charges  60 cents per gallon on imported ETOH from Brazil. 40+ percent of the corn in the us will
be diverted to ETOH production this year. In Brazil they use sugar cane which is much less expensive to produce and is not much of the food chain.

Perhaps it would be good if you would list the  actual "tax breaks" you claim they receive i.e."some of those costs are absorbed by tax payers". In this way we know you are not talking about detectable expenses. The 45 cents we get for our alcohol is a real hand out.
You mentioned "some support for renewable energy, but "not a lot" what to you is a lot. Did you hear about the ETOH subsidy put into the budget during the lame duck congress? In 2009 the 45 cents  was paid on and average of 700,000 barrels per day, most of which was
paid to ADM. If you do the math the "not a lot" comes to about $15.75 million per day. Last year it came to over $7 billion,  "not a lot"???
I think you need to define the difference between a subsidy and a cost of production.

"If 50% of the system had been paid for" it would have meant 50% was a subsidy. All that means is it was not feasible and did not stand
on its own merits, which gets to my point.
Please list a current credible source for your statement "fossil fuel not receiving such cost support".
With regard to"they have proposed offshore drilling for the first time". While they talk about more drilling, the fact is the current regime has only issued 3 new drilling permits and they are conditional. Hundreds of existing permits were put on hold, and hundreds of drilling rigs that were already operating remain shut down.
The head of the current regime stated flatly he would bankrupt coal companies. As a direct result the new coal fired Power Plant that was under construction  in Bowie AZ has been stopped. No new Plants have been permitted, or under construction under the new administration.

"I would also encourage you to do some reading about food exports to the developing world". I have looked into it and that is to my point of efficient food production. We produce crops now at a cost that is lower than we did in the 1960"s and do it with out subsidies. During that same time period many of our costs have gone up 800%++.  I do not see how "local farmers" not being competitive is relevant to our discussion. In our area only 20% of the farmers that were in production in the 60's steal farm. Back then, we farmed dozens of small fields with small inefficient tractors and hundreds of laborers. We now have combined the fields, use almost no labor and have eliminated the small inefficient tractors. There is an economy of scale that small farms cannot achieve and this is the primary reason for lower grain costs not subsidies. If you check the prices US farmers were paid over the last 3 decades, you will see those prices have not gone up, nearly as much.

Sorry but not even close, "addressed the basis behind "artificially cheap fossil fuel production". Your primes is based on out dated information and according to my sources your source was not credible when it was written. Perhaps you can find a government source to support there numbers in as much as the government is supposedly making the payments.

Finally to this: "Please notice the lack of multiple ?? or !!.  Lets talk, not "yell". When I yell or wish to express anger in an email I due so this way &%$#@*%
When I use ????  or !!!! it is my way to express my skepticism and or incredulity, not volume or anger.

Brent