[Digestion] Environmentalists Anti-AD Issues

Duncan Martin duncanjmartin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 07:14:21 CDT 2011

I guess the rule is arsenic in, arsenic out.

In other words, digestate can't contain any more arsenic than the raw
chicken manure, so AD cannot make the problem any worse - if it exists at
all. The concn might be higher, because the volume is less - but that's a
red herring.

The best approach to these scaremongers is to ask the source of their info -
then evaluate it critically. Often it's just internet gossip.

And even if the info is sound, it might well be specific to a particular
farm with odd local conditions or feed sources - or perhaps a specific
medication added to the feed. I'm no expert on chickens but arsenic (at
above trace background levels) doesn't sound like a likely feed additive.
Would the chickens be fit to eat?

Duncan J Martin PhD
Clouhgjordan Ecovillage
Ireland