[Digestion] Biogas appliances survey

David david at h4c.org
Sat Mar 19 15:57:54 CDT 2011

Oliver,

My apologies for not earlier answering your message to me. I was
traveling...

On 3/14/2011 7:28 AM, Oliver Kynaston wrote:
> I am working in Tanzania and am in the middle of conducting some
> research into biogas appliances. I'm trying to get a list together
> of the types of appliances (stoves, lamps, rice cookers, heaters
> etc) which are being used by biogas programs around the world to
> find out which would be most suitable for the biogas market here.

I know of only a few tests of appliances that have been done (see for
example this paper
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.snvworld.org%2Fen%2FDocuments%2FEfficiency_measurement_of_biogas_kerosene_and_LPG_stoves_Nepal_2001.pdf&rct=j&q=Efficiency%20Measurement%20of%20Biogas%2C%20Kerosene%20and%20LPG%20Stoves&ei=8xKFTeraMofQsAOayoT1AQ&usg=AFQjCNESBJ21QFSy8jgJyossj3YZxXLbig&cad=rja>),
and in any case the question you have is difficult to answer (or
perhaps only as I see it) in the form posed, because the criteria by
which one determines suitability are not specified. Easily
manufactured? Long-lasting? Efficient in its use of fuel? Cheap?

Briefly, I suggest looking at an EWAG paper
<http://www.eawag.ch/forschung/sandec/publikationen/swm/dl/anaerobic_digestion_canteen_waste.pdf>
on page 53 for some appliances that are (apparently) available from
Tanzania.

Finally, at least with regard to stoves, clearly the primary appliance
in most instances as regards biogas, and particularly if you are
considering manufacture, I suggest contacting my friend Crispin
Pemberton-Piggott (crispinpigott at gmail.com) <crispinpigott at gmail.com>,
who is a recognized expert in stove design.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/