[Digestion] Growing Algae from biogas CO2 and digestate liquor

mark at gaiacooperative.com mark at gaiacooperative.com
Fri Oct 14 02:16:12 CDT 2011

Dear Wayne,

The best (cheapest and most reliable) system to use for algal production is
a shallow high rate algal oxidation ponds (HRAP), usually in sets of 60 x 8m
with a very slow moving paddle wheel (see attached) Typically betseen 10 to
35cm deep depending on the the turbidity of the effluent (usually a function
of COD).  If you are using 8 to 10 % solids you will need a good settling
tank before the high rate algal pond. If you are using sewage wastewater
with minimal solids its best to use a facultative pond with at least a 10
day retention time where the effluent is introduced at at least 1.5 m deep
to avoid the smells (the anoxic algae will grow in this pond). The effluent
from this pond should be taken at least1 meter below the surface to avoid
contamination of the high rate algal pond.

With a paddle wheel in operation, the algal strains produced in the HRAP are
not problematic and can be used for aquaculture feed. Tilapia and marron are
a good combination. Also the nutrient rich highly oxygenated effluent form
the algal ponds will lead to the production of zooplankton which is a good
aquaculture feed.

Best Wishes

Mark

  _____