[Digestion] Verification POME & Animal bones

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 20:03:14 CDT 2012

Dear Sandra,
the major part of bones consists of minerals which can be used for making a
high quality ceramic material called bone china.. But the the cavities in
the bone itself are full of organic fermentable material. One can crush the
bones and introduce them directly into a biogas plant but one must also
have a mechanism to remove the residual bones from the digester. By boiling
the crushed bones, one can recover the water soluble part from them.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM, sandra bos <sandra-bos at live.nl> wrote:

>   Dear all,
>
> I am working on two AD projects in Uganda and Tanzania. In Uganda we will
> have access to palm oil mill effluent (POME) and in the case of Tanzania,
> we have access to slaughterhouse waste, which contains the bones as well
> (mainly from cow carcasses). We haven't test the 2 feedstock yet.
> Does anybody has experience with those 2 feedstock?
>
> With regard to POME, I am looking for data on biogas yield.
>
> With regard to bones; Will it be suitable for AD? Does anybody have
> experiences with pretreatment of bones? I read somewhere that, after
> crushing, it has to be cooked first before using as feedstock. What would
> be the biogas yield?
>
> Who can help me out? Or has some useful literature on this?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sandra Bos
> FACT Foundation
> The Netherlands
> www.fact-foundation.com
>
> <sandra-bos at live.nl>

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)