[Digestion] Biogas plant at Zoo

Murali Krishna bmkrishna6 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 04:55:43 CDT 2013

Good day Alexander,

I am delighted to learn that you are able to produce good quantity of gas
from elephant dung and some lignin content is left over.  If you add some
urine to the dung (which I presume is abundantly available in the elephant
sanctuary) you will have still more good results.

It would be great if you would let me know how long you keep the dung the
AD. (HRT)/

Regards,

Krishna.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Alexander Eaton
<alex at sistemabiobolsa.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a digester treating waste from Elephants in Mexico (Indian
> Elephants just living in Mexico :).  It is working great, and we are able
> to recovery biogas which is burned for heating water for crocodiles, and
> the water is recovered for irrigation.  The elephant waste has a lot of
> massive, nearly whole pieces of plant stocks and other "woody" matter that
> is not really digested by the animal which we strain out and send to a
> compost.
>
> In my opinion, zoos are a really ideally spot for biogas plants because
> they have energy and fertilizer demands, and above all, they are
> educational centers where the technology can be promoted to a broad public
> that may not ever visits farms or other areas where AD is in place.
>  Further, they should also be held to a higher sustainability standards
> given this educational component.
>
> Best,

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM, paul perrin <paul at idltd.com> wrote:
>
>> What I have read does say that human waste is pretty useless for biogas
>> (I saw a figure of 1 cubic foot per day from one humans waste) - but I
>> understand that animal like elephants have massively inefficient digestion
>> systems (much food passing through almost entirely undigested) so their
>> dung will be entirely different and contain much more raw ingredients for
>> biogas generation (would dried elephant dung even burn?). There is a
>> calculation to be done, and it can't be based on 'averages' across species.
>>

>> On 27 June 2013 20:28, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Rabin,
>>> all animals, including humans, function as live biogas plants. The fecal
>>> matter represents slurry coming out of a biogas plant. Using animal dung as
>>> feedstock in a biogas plant is a highly inefficient way of producing
>>> biogas. You get about 800 litres biogas from just 1 kg starch. To get the
>>> same amount of biogas from cattle dung, you need 40 kg of it. One gets much
>>> more energy from dung if it can be dehydrated and burned directly
>>> Yours
>>> A.D.Karve

>>> --
>>> ***
>>> Dr. A.D. Karve
>>> Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute
>>> (ARTI)

>>> for more information about digestion, see
>>> Beginner's Guide to Biogas
>>> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/
>>> and the Biogas Wiki http://biogas.wikispaces.com/

>> for more information about digestion, see
>> Beginner's Guide to Biogas
>> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/
>> and the Biogas Wiki http://biogas.wikispaces.com/
>>

> --
> Alexander Eaton
> Sistema Biobolsa
> IRRI-Mexico
> RedBioLAC
>
> Mex cel: (55) 11522786
> US cel: 970 275 4505

> [...]

Regards.

Murali Krishna
*
*
*
*
**
*
*
* **Never put water down the drain when there may be another use for it*
*Save the Environment*

*
*