[Digestion] Pest repellent capability of biogas slurry - information request

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 07:43:29 CST 2014

Dear List,

I too had been thinking about the insect repellant activity of the
effluent from a biogas plant and I feel that I should share my
thoughts with this group.  The food of all animals, whether they are
insects, cephalopods, mollusks, or vertebrates, consists of sugars,
starch, cellulose, proteins and fats. It should be noted that
molecules of all these substances contain oxygen.  My experience so
far has been that any organic feedstock, which is introduced into a
biogas plant must contain oxygen as a part of its make up. This is
because the methanogens as well as other anaerobic microbes obtain
their oxygen from their food. Modern animals can obtain molecular
oxygen from the air or from that dissolved in water, but since they
evolved from the Archaea, they seem to have retained the
characteristic of eating only such organic matter, which contains
oxygen. No animal can digest organic substances without oxygen. Since
the organic matter coming out of a biogas plant is devoid of oxygen,
it is obvious that insects are not attracted to it.
Yours
A.D.Karve
***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)