[Digestion] Hi

Paul Harris harrisfm at aapt.net.au
Wed Jun 8 01:15:24 CDT 2016

G'day All,

While I am happy to agree to differ on some of Dr A,D.Karve's ideas I
disagree with points 6) and 7) below (if taken at face value).

6) There should be a C:N ratio of approximately 20-30:1. The exact value
is not critical, but microbes need both these nutrients (and other
elements) to survive. Too much N will result in ammonia and too much C
probably reduces the biogas quality.

7) Retention Time (RT) is reasonably important! Too short a RT results
in "washout", which stops digestion. The actual "washout" RT depends on
operating temperature, as this influences microbial growth rate. Best
use of digester volume occurs at a RT about twice the "washout" time,
but longer RTs result in more biogas per unit influent and more robust
operation.

	Retention Time
Temp. 	Gwth Rte 	Washout 	"Optimum"
(^O C) 	(days^-1 ) 	(days) 	(days)