[Digestion] Digestion of Oily Seed cake

dreadlox at cwjamaica.com dreadlox at cwjamaica.com
Tue Jul 16 10:12:09 CDT 2019

Thanks for all that you have done for Biogas Paul and others.
I have been a member here for years and have benefitted much from the
correspondences that I have garnered here.
Glad to hear a message here again... I believe Facebook took a lot of wind
out of the list-groups "sails", back in the day, to the point that not many
list-groups still remain active.

Anyhoo, ...

Have a question that I wonder if any member has dealt with. Have a situation
where, after storing waste castor seed cake on a compost pile for a few
years we had to move it, or stir it up, to make way for an aquaponic system,
and it is stinking fiercely, much to the dismay of my neighbours. I realise
that the oil has seeped down over the years into the core of the mass, and
the outer sections have been burnt dry by the sun and less smelly.

Am thinking real short term help with bio-digestion to the rescue. Am
thinking of brewing a quick batch of bacteria, which can quickly eat and
digest and belch off, this stuff, so that it will not smell as bad as it is
doing right now. Does anyone have experience with this oily seedcake mass,
which I cannot place into a bio-digester right now, I was storing it in the
hope of having this as a high yield in-feed mass.

Can anyone give me some renegade help with brewing a bio-assistance brew, to
kill this stench down quickly please?

I have sufficient containers and warm water, so I can do a batch brew with
some help.
Would regular human probiotic tablets for indigestion be a good seedstock to
start this brew to kill the smell, or does someone who has processed oily
seedcakes have a better idea?

I am grateful for all help on this matter.

Mike Barnett
JAMAICA