[Gasification] mycoremediation of tarry water

Bruce Jackson bpjackso at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 18:20:00 CST 2013

Dear Tom and Kevin,
 It is clear from reading the old texts, that when gas producers were fueled with coal and the gas burned in something like a Westinghouse 5000hp gas engine, the brake specific fuel consumption was less the the same horse power steam engine. Both systems would have had specilized professional engineers and artisans keeping things working economically. So in the end, the lower capitalization and fuel consumption costs would have leaned toward the gas producers. This was all around 1900. Reading Sir Ricardo's books, allows a direct comparison between the big gas engines and the fledgling diesel engines, and it was pretty clear that even with compressed air atomization (a separate power robbing aircompressor), the diesel would eventually have better brake specific fuel consumption and even lower capitalization costs the gas producers. There was also this competition between coal and crude oil.
 The history is interesting in showing that gas producers were competitive when the comparison is made between systems using the same fuel. I don't see that happening today. There simply aren't any internal combustion engines designed to burn producer gas whether it comes from coal, biomass, or blast furnaces. Its apples compared to oranges. The same can be said for steam too. As close I see to an equal comparison is wood chip burning heating plants and something like Greg's system.
 The real answer to Stuart's question is that producer gas is the only sustainable alternative fuel that can come close to replacing motor fuel and be used by the present fleet of vehicles. As in world war two, when petroleum motor fuel was removed from the picture, then the vehicle fleets had to switch over, and they had no choice but to figure out the tar problem. Its worth it because there wasn't a choice.
 Perhaps in the near future there will be better choices.
yours,
Bruce