[Gasification] Tennessee company - pyrolysis biochar + hydrogen ($1.75 per gallon diesel-equivalent?)

Art Krenzel phoenix98604 at msn.com
Wed May 14 02:07:12 CDT 2014

Dr. Karve,
Being able to technically generate hydrogen using incandescent carbon in a water gas reaction does not make the process economically competitive.  Typically, the use of incandescent carbon is a batch, cyclic process which produces pulses of gases which vary in purity over each cycle
Compare the economics of using a batch feedstock which has a variable composition to one which has a very pure, low cost feedstock (CH4) day in and day out.  As a process designer, you can readily see that even through the chemistry works out to generate hydrogen using incandescent carbon, the day to day practicality of operating a multistage process with such a variable feedstock is much more difficult and more expensive.
Art