[Gasification] Straw Fueled CHP

Leland Taylor linvent at aol.com
Sun Dec 24 22:59:17 CST 2017

Dear Dr. Miles and the list:
    There is a significant difference between rice husk and cereal straw in that husk is high in silica which has a much higher ash fusion temperature than potash which is one of the principal components of plant matter and occurs in plants in differing amounts. To digress a bit, silica uptake by plants, of which grasses including bamboo can contain up to 40%, is not well understood and the chemistry is quite interesting. Plants and humans do not grow without silica.
     Any of the fused elements can also have significant abrasion and corrosion issues, which defines materials of construction.
    From Dr. Miles' statement about shaft power, it seems that this means a steam boiler system as opposed to engine operation from the nature of the process described, and IC engine operation is more challenging from the gas cleaning necessary, but boilers can also foul with mineral deposits and require extensive cleaning that seriously impedes long operating hours between downtime.
     So far, it does not appear that the criteria set forth in the initial request has been met, and it is of some curiosity as to the conclusion of the inquirer?

Sincerely,

Leland T. "Tom" Taylor
Thermogenics Inc.
+001-505-463-8422