[Greenbuilding] Stale Air

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 12 12:17:59 CST 2010

Hi,

There are a lot of adjectives for air - stale, stagnant, dead, fetid.

Air basically means for us oxygen as a requirement - so stale air could
simply be oxygen poor air.

.

With ashrae I guess there is adequate ventilation and inadequate ventilation
and stale would be an excess of unventilated air (stale??). Ashrae uses co2
concentrations as the indicator for adequate ventilation so there definition
is ppm for various uses.

In emergency first aid I measure ventilation rates,  blood oxygen levels as
well of level of consciousness - all of which could reveal an emergency
condition in students in a classroom at the end of a day subject to averaged
ventilation and subsequent 'stale' air. Tidal volume (breath) is about 500ml
with about 14% oxygen and 4.4% co2 exhaled - outside air is about 21% oxygen
and .04% co2.

So a significant amount of c02 is released on each breath in comparison to
the intake - so we could say that 'stale air' is any air exhaled.

Fun question.

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7

PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541

terrain at shaw.ca

  _____