[Greenbuilding] Stale Air

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 12 21:31:10 CST 2010

Sorry Stephen - I know you know all that stuff, I liked the question and was
thinking out loud and still thinking out loud. One of the interesting things
for me is that when someone is cyanotic or hypoxic in a medical situation it
is pretty apparent. Basically co2 drives our breathing as we eliminate it.
Chronic high(er) levels of co2 in our built environment may be an issue. It
would never be the case that there was not sufficient oxygen - more that the
body becomes less able to utilize the oxygen as it becomes less able to
eliminate co2 or other mixtures of gases. So we end up with chronic
problems.

That is one thought and then a companion thought is that co2 is used as an
indicator - if it is present at higher levels then other gases are so is a
broad measuring tool for IAQ and these gases interact. I think we are
allowed approximately double the exterior co2 level for indoor environments.
Perhaps that is too high for an aging or health compromised population.

Increasingly I think ventilation rates are too low (and people spend too
much time indoors but ironically not that much time in their houses). Are we
heating and ventilating houses far too much when are unoccupied and then
ventilating sufficiently for when they are? How well is demand controlled
ventilation actually working?

Thanks for the question - has me scratching my head as well.

John

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7

PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541

terrain at shaw.ca

  _____