[Greenbuilding] Reducing mold

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Sun Nov 7 21:32:51 CST 2010

Hi, Sacie--

Hydrogen peroxide sprayed on the wall will kill mold and is harmless to you and your graywater.  If you wipe down the stucco surfaces, suggest wetting them first so mold spores aren't released into the air.

A longer term solution in a humid climate might be dehumidifying the space. They are somewhat noisy but can do a good job of drying out a room.

Best,

Mike O'Brien

On Nov 7, 2010, at 4:22 PM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:

> From Mike O'B;    Are you thinking about ways to reduce the mold?
>
> Indeed, I would love something easy to reduce the black stuff that appears in our shower.  Certainly it is enough of a problem here in relatively humid NE Kansas that there are loads of products sold in the stores to get rid of it.  A good spray of a vinegar solution helps, as does clorox.  However, the water from our bathroom goes straight outside into a small running- downhill-gray-water trench, so using clorox isn't so great.
>
> I'm in fact looking for a solution that doesn't exist.  A good scrubing lasts a long time.  The walk-in shower is 3'x5', not a stall at all.  The room in which it lives is large for a bathroom; in the winter the ambient temp is rather cool so I would love to enclose the shower area like the Sunfrost site suggests but I'm afraid I would only be asking for more mold problems.
>
> Wonder how the Turkish bath folks keep mold out?
>
> Sacie

Mike O'Brien Photography
1905 N Alberta Street
Portland, Oregon 97217