[Greenbuilding] Reducing mold

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 7 21:38:27 CST 2010

I like the question about Turkish baths. The stucco is lime based so has
some resistance in offering little food and some anti-fungal but a bathing
area quickly accumulates both the food and the moisture.

Vinegar and similar caustic materials will have some affect but will also
eat into the finishes to provide yet more area for food and moisture to
rest. Essentially you want to do the opposite and increase the polish and
smoothness of the surface.

The smoothness and hardness of a surface is a benefit for basic washing of
surfaces - and the Rob mentioned tadelak which is essentially a very fine
lime stucco with stone fines that can be polished and burnished very smooth
for water resistance. Soaps and waxes are often used to complete the finish
which can offer both additional water resistance as well as some
anti-microbial benefit.

As for mildewcides within a shower or bathing area we often forget the
basics which is copper, silver, zinc. These can be sacrificial cleansers if
you can live with the precipipate stains. I have an outdoor shower on a
concrete deck with exposed copper plumbing and the shower are is quite free
of algae which seems to love the rest of the deck - despite the sunshine.

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7
PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
terrain at shaw.ca