[Greenbuilding] Reducing mold

Bob Klahn Home-NRG at dnaco.net
Mon Nov 8 07:40:46 CST 2010

  Sacie,

For the new wood that's moldy, you can try a water solution of sodium
octoborate (trade named BoraCare).  It soaks into the wood and is a mold
inhibitor - not a mildicide.  Pest control companies use it since it
also deters termites.  Since it is water borne, it can leach out if the
wood is later saturated, but is otherwise stable.

Urethane should exclude new moisture, just be sure the wood is dry all
the way through (long moisture probe) before applying BoraCare and urethane.

Perhaps best is the very low toxicity.  On the other hand it is pricey.

Bob Klahn