[Greenbuilding] MDF vs Particleboard vs Whatever

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 24 23:02:25 CDT 2010

I can third that recommendation. Our millwork shop primarily uses strip
laminated pine or maple (usually 2" strips glued to form panels) for most
cabinetry or drawers and occasionally plywood if additional stability is
needed (full drawer banks, etc.).

Butcher block is a good counter surface for dry areas that can be used well
and refinished as needed. I like tile because it is durable without needing
any finish (other than grout lines). The shop has done a lot of concrete
counters and they are a lot of work and not durable and I am not keen on
doing any more. Stone (granite) is decent but needs a finish unless you are
ok with it degrading naturally. Composites tend to scratch easily (can be
refinished . but people seem a little disappointed over time with the
maintenance). A mixture of surfaces for the purpose is good (nothing like
rolling dough on the right marble).

JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN

4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C.  CANADA, V9L 6M7

PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541

terrain at shaw.ca

  _____