[Greenbuilding] ventilating a tiny shop space

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 26 12:13:19 CDT 2010

I think that it would be a mistake to not provide exhaust and make-up air
capacity for the shop.

It's not just particulate matter that needs to be exhausted.

ie Sometimes when using carbide cutters & blades on hardwood, smoke will
be generated.

     or

If you ever use sheet stock (ie plywood, PB, HDF or MDF) then those
materials are going to be off-gassing, and moreso when being cut)

    or

If your dust collection system is not a HEPA type, then there will be
particulate matter of the worst sort in the air you breathe

    or

If you use that shop to apply liquid finishes or steenky adhesives, well,
you know.

Even working with "real" (soft) wood, they will off-gas VOCs into the
indoor air environment.
(CMHC's  "Healthy Homes" program recommends that softwoods be avoided for
interior finish work for this reason, if any of the home's occupants are
afflicted with MCS.)

Since the shop is in a basement former "cold room" (ie concrete walls,
floor and ceiling) providing good exhaust capacity should not result in
any severe thermal discomfort due to heat storage/buffering capacity of
the (well-insulated ?) thermal mass, if the exhaust is operated only
during "pollution" events.

In the shop that is in my own home (as opposed to the one that is separate
from) I have an awning-type insulated (R-20) vent on which a squirrel cage
blower (salvaged from a furnace) is mounted. In winter when I need to
exhaust, snap open the sash lock, crank open the insulated awning oand
then turn on the blower. The air is sparkling clean & fresh within moments.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom