[Greenbuilding] fireproof light deck

RT ArchiLogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Apr 8 11:40:37 CDT 2011

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 10:32:16 -0400, Gennaro Brooks-Church
<info at ecobrooklyn.com> wrote:

> I found some rock wool board that could be covered with a thin layer
> of colored concrete.
> Lots of high embodied energy...but would last.

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM, JOHN SALMEN <terrain at shaw.ca> wrote:

>> thinset mortared to rockwool boards

Not sure about the durability of pavers made in such a fashion

(ie I sort of doubt that thinset has much resistance to frost destruction
due to the extremely small particle size of the fine sand aggregate that
is typically used ... maybe instead of thinset mortar you go to the
hardware store where people take their left-over exterior-grade latex
paint for safe disposal and use that with some coarse sand (ie "concrete
sand" -- particle size up to 3 mm) and cement ( ie replace the mixing
water with the recycled latex paint) to make a synthetic mortar ? How
fire-resistant is latex paint ? Dunno. )

but just a ran-dumb thought:

If locally-sourced, rigid rockwool boards (as opposed to the stuff Gennaro
mentioned, which comes from the other side of the planet and as such, how
Green would it be ?) aren't available, I wonder if salvaged fibreglass
ceiling tiles might be suitable for the cores of the stressed-skin
panels/pavers ?

I'm thinking of the ancient-era (1960's ?) stuff that was used in hung
ceilings -- a crunchy, yellow rigid glass fibre (makes me itchy just
thinking about the %@^#*@stuff) with a thin plastic (?) film-type skin on
the finished side.

Probably qualifies as being "fire resistant" but I don't know if the
material has any drainage capacity.

The "tiles" were probably only about 0.5 inches thick so you'd have to
stack maybe 4 or so together to get the desired thickness.

Maybe one wraps the schmozzle of tiles in something like the mesh that
onion bags are made of (or maybe the "official" mesh that is used for EIFS
stucco finishes) for the tensile reinforcement ?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom