[Greenbuilding] fireproof light deck

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Fri Apr 8 12:06:01 CDT 2011

(ie I sort of doubt that thinset has much resistance to frost destruction
> due to the extremely small particle size of the fine sand aggregate that is
> typically used ... maybe instead of thinset mortar you go to the hardware
> store where people take their left-over exterior-grade latex paint for safe
> disposal and use that with some coarse sand (ie "concrete sand" -- particle
> size up to 3 mm) and cement ( ie replace the mixing water with the recycled
> latex paint) to make a synthetic mortar ? How fire-resistant is latex paint
> ? Dunno. )

got me thinking--back a few years ago on this list--there was an extended
discussion about extremely thin slabs, with a rich, highly reinforced mix--a
la ferro cement boat hulls.  if you could get the slab down to under, say,
1-1/2" thick, the deck would be 20-25 psf...not an outrageous load to
support with LiteSteel beams bearing across party walls...

AA