[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

Kathy Cochran kathys_old_house at goldrush.com
Tue Apr 12 23:08:54 CDT 2011

I have been researching “raised garden beds” and found that many groups were
purporting CEDAR.  Said that it will last 40 years.  (By then I won’t care!
And it is organic!)  So I have just constructed some 23-1/2” tall cedar beds
)  (2 – 2x12’s) lined with ½” gopher wire (and I have to get down into the
beds and stitch the wire seams together to prevent the gophers from climbing
up between the seams, so they tell me) .  These 2’x4’x8’ beds were going for
about $400 EACH.  Well, I got all the wood, bolts, wire, etc. for about less
than 1/3 that.  Now, of course, I have to get them filled with good organic
compost, which hopefully will come next week, in time to plant my summer
vegetable garden.  I’m also planting asparagus  -  a 15-20 year crop on the
back side.

Does concrete (i.e., concrete blocks) have a chemical reaction with garden
dirt  -  that could affect the true “organic” state of the garden for
vegetables?

Happy gardening!

Kathy Cochran

San Andreas, California