[Greenbuilding] best lumber for raised vegetable beds

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Thu Apr 14 09:41:58 CDT 2011

The problem with cedar that will actually last 40
years in ground contact is that it is likely from
old-growth. Young cedar doesn't last nearly as
long as the old-growth "clear" stuff. Which is
why Weyerhaeuser bought MacMillan Bloedel, then
Canada's largest forest-products company, to get
access to the last stands of big old-growth
Western red cedar left in the world. Now they are
the top cedar provider. But it will soon be gone,
since the second-growth stuff didn't work for
them (because it didn't work for the user).

RPL is often the way to go when looking for
durability in exterior applications.

Sure, the cedar will eventually become part of
Mother Earth, but is that really what we're
looking for? How about, when the project is done,
taking the material up and recycling it? No
impact on forests at all.

tim keating

>I have been researching "raised garden beds" and
>found that many groups were purporting CEDAR.
>Said that it will last 40 years.  (By then I
>won't care!  And it is organic!)  So I have just
>constructed some 23-1/2" tall cedar beds )  (2 -
>2x12's) lined with ½" gopher wire (and I have to
>get down into the beds and stitch the wire seams
>together to prevent the gophers from climbing up
>between the seams, so they tell me) .  These
>2'x4'x8' beds were going for about $400 EACH.
>Well, I got all the wood, bolts, wire, etc. for
>about less than 1/3 that.  Now, of course, I
>have to get them filled with good organic
>compost, which hopefully will come next week, in
>time to plant my summer vegetable garden.  I'm
>also planting asparagus  -  a 15-20 year crop on
>the back side.
>
>Does concrete (i.e., concrete blocks) have a
>chemical reaction with garden dirt  -  that
>could affect the true "organic" state of the
>garden for vegetables?
>
>Happy gardening!
>
>Kathy Cochran
>San Andreas, California
>
>From:
>greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298