[Greenbuilding] a better boiler

kaa-ajk at sonic.net kaa-ajk at sonic.net
Wed Apr 13 19:19:21 CDT 2011

John,
  I've had a parallel experience.
  I kept a hydro-pulse high-efficiency boiler going for 20 years, took a
lot of attention to clearing the condensate drain from the chamber, and
then the chamber plugged up with debris/rust so much I couldn't any
longer open the condensate drain.  I replaced it with the same model (no
longer available).

  But what I realized as I pulled things apart for the replacement was
that much if not most all of the condensate was coming not from the
boiler chamber but the (20' in this case) up-sloping PVC exhaust.  In
the replacement I put a trap in the exhaust, with a condensate drain
from the foot of the trap.
  After that the same continuous light flow of condensate came not from
the boiler but the trap in the exhaust.  I'm convinced that if that had
been done originally the original boiler would still be going.

  I have incomplete data, but tend to agree that most boilers are
installed poorly.

  In our new abode I'm in the middle of installing a Triangle Tube
high-efficiency boiler.  I would have used another hydro-pulse, but
since it's no longer available I searched a bit through high efficiency
boilers.  The Triangle-tube looks good to me (& I'm an engineer) - we'll
see after it's put to use for a while.
  This time I arranged for the exhaust to be under 2' right out the wall
the boiler is mounted on.

Joe