[Greenbuilding] ERV and dehumidification... again....

John Beeson - Sunny Side Up emailme0617 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 08:09:43 CDT 2011

Is John Straube out there?  Or others have insight as well, I'm sure.

I'm trying to learn more about the "necessary" dehumidification a fairly tight
house in Tennessee would need.  I mostly understand the concept that when
ventilated with an ERV, the Fall/Spring months will see an increase in interior
humidity because the ERV is not "dehumidifying"...   or something like that.
See, I need to learn more about it.

I searched buildingscience.com and found some interesting research results, but
I need a primer that explains the issue first.

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/reports/rr-0215-dehumidification-systems-research-results/view?searchterm=ERV

Thanks everyone!

-John

     /       \                 John E. Beeson, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C
                                       powerofsun.johnbeeson at gmail.com

"There's a fine line between standing on the shore fishing and looking like an
idiot"   - Dave Barry

"But if we are designing new buildings in new ways, why shouldn’t we preserve
old buildings in new ways as well?" - Blair Kamin

"The  road to energy independence, economic recovery and reductions in
greenhouse gas emissions runs through the Building Sector." -Edward Mazria

"Sustainability  is like teenage sex. Everybody says they're doing it, very few
people  actually are doing it. Those that are doing it are doing it badly."
-Aussie architect Andrew Maynard