[Greenbuilding] undercabinet fluorescent fixtures

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Wed Aug 17 12:10:20 CDT 2011

best solution for kitchen lighting is continuous T-5's under wall cabinets
and or shelves at 16"-20" inches above the counter...and...a light colored,
matte finished counter surface.  The counters make a significant difference
in visual comfort.  Best kitchen I've cooked in had continuous fluorescent
under cabinet lighting and white corian counters.  The corian was slightly
transluscent, like fine marble, and actually functioned as a source of
illumination.  I never turned on the overhead lights, except to sweep the
floor.

By contrast my kitchen has continuous T-5's and soapstone counters, which
seem to suck light out of space.  Not that 7 years have passed since the
corian days...incipient cataracts having nothing to do with it...

*Alan Abrams**
Abrams Design Build LLC*
*A sustainable approach to beautiful space*

6411 Orchard Avenue Suite 102
Takoma Park, MD 20912
office  301-270-NET- ZERO (301-270-6380)
fax      301-270-1466
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com