[Greenbuilding] Natural ventilation.

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 30 10:23:19 CDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:14:12 -0400, Alan Abrams
<alan at abramsdesignbuild.com> wrote:

> can't quantify it for you, but my hunch is that a 4" ceiling vent
> relying on stratification and not mechanical force is not large enough
> to overcome
> static pressure and induce significant flow through a 4" ground
> intake--particularly if the ground intake is long enough to cool incoming
> air appreciably.  A venting skylight might be a better option
[snip]
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Frank Tettemer <frank at livingsol.com>
> wrote:

>> Here's a ventilation question, for all the fresh air fans on this list.
>> I'd like to use gravity ventilation, and I need to plan a way of opening
>> and closing the vent.

[snip]

For full text of message (for the benefit of the SB Yahoos) see
http://lists.bioenergylists.org/pipermail/greenbuilding_lists.bioenergylists.org/2011-August/002276.html

I suspect that fellow MooseHugger Frank, like I, cringed and uttered
"Gggggnnnaaaah!" at warm-clime AA-man's suggestion to install a skylight.

For a discussion of ventilation air flow rates at various I/S & O/S
temperatures, wind speeds, relative humidities etc and natural ventilation
principles presented in the delightful folksy format that was typical of
many useful little books from the late 1800's & early 1900's,  some of you
might be interested in Franklin Hiram King's
(about the man:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Hiram_King ) take
on the subject.

I ran across Frankie's work w-a-a-a-y back (1970's ?) when I was building
a dairy barn and was looking at means of natural ventilation and the "King
Ventilation System" caught my eye.

Fortunately, instead of your having to scour the aisles of musty old books
in some university library, digital versions of the relevant (to this
discussion) chapter are available at

           http://www.archive.org/details/ventilationfordw00king

--
=== * ===