[Greenbuilding] Natural ventilation.

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 30 19:39:48 CDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 14:38:59 -0400, that wascawy Alan Abrams
<alan at abramsdesignbuild.com> wrote:

>  why would a skylight be any less energy efficient than a
> window of the same size and glazing quality?  Further, if it were
> strategically located and obtained some winter daytime gain, and or if
> the homeowner from Tar Sand Nation installed a two inch block of
> styrofoam in
> the opening from November to March, it might be a net asset,

Resisting AA-Man's sucker-(flame)bait comment re: Tar Sand Nation...

"Strategically located" skylight ?

It's either in the roof or not in the roof. Isn't it ?

When in the roof, and assuming that it's on the equator-facing slope of
the roof, it's a liability in summer (no means of sun control as with a
window which can be summer-shaded by appropriately-scaled overhangs) and
it's a liability in winter (enormous potential for creating ice dams even
if fitted with a two inch block of styrofoam).

And that's just for starters. "Skylight" is spelled T-R-O-U-B-L-E in
Canadian. Eh ?

[muttering some rude stuff about warm-clime Murricans not knowing their
R's from a hole in the ... roof]

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom