[Greenbuilding] toilet / sink combo

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 12 11:40:03 CST 2011

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 12:24:26 -0500, Chris Koehn <chris at koehn.com> wrote:

> Hi- Anyone know where I can source a toilet / sink combination (sink on
> top of the tank) in Western Canada?

> Anyone have hands-on experience with these who can attest to their
> functionality?

"Nope" and "Nope".

However, it did strike me that it wouldn't be all that difficult to take a
salvaged vanity (an item that is typically in plentiful supply in any
urban area) and mount it to a toilet tank lid (probably also
readily-available as a salvage item if one wanted to experiment first) and
modify the supply line to the tank so that it would provide water to a tap
on the newly-modified basin/tank lid.

The only thing that I don't have clear in my mind (with the minimal
thought invested so far) is how to connect the drain on the basin to work
in conjunction with the tank-filler (although I do have a vague picture).

That being said, I do have some doubts about functionality of such an
arrangement.

Presumably the intent of hand-washing to at the toilet is to prevent the
transfer of widgety-bugs and such like from one's hands to other parts of
the body, clothing, door knobs etc after handling and/or wiping oneself at
the toilet.

Ideally then (in order to be effective at achieving the intent of
hand-washing), the hand-washing should be performed before one has
re-arranged one's clothing after toilet ... and if one's toilet activities
required one to be in a seated position, then the hand-washing should be
done while still seated.

For most of us, having a hand-washing basin behind one's head would be
tricky, if not impossible to utliise.

Perhaps an alternative to consider may be a bidet-spray add-on (can be
purchased ready-made for as little as $40 or less ... better DIY ones can
be made for even less). If one cleans the source of potential hand
contamination, then hand contamination is no longer an issue.

However, if effective hand-washing after toilet is essential, then I would
look at providing a wash basin in front of the toilet that can be used
while still seated.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")