[Greenbuilding] firewood moisture content

nick pine nick at early.com
Thu Dec 15 14:45:38 CST 2011

Corwyn wrote:

>... the only way the water vapor is going into the room rather than up the
>chimney is if the fireplace is *very* open

Not true. I've often thought about making a condensing chimney, which
Norbert says might raise a woodstove's efficiency 15%...

My Englander woodstove has a very short chimney without much draft, so I
added a Heat Miser with a fan that blows room air through horizontal pipes
in the chimney pipe and a dryer duct that pushes some of the Heat Miser
output air into the woodstove outdoor air inlet (a 3" nipple) which
increases the draft and the heat output.

The next step might be to turn on the Heat Miser fan with a room temp
thermostat...

The next step might be to extend the 6" chimney pipe 10' inside an 8" Heat
Miser outlet pipe to make a condensing counterflow air-air heat exchanger.
This could have a stainless steel inner pipe and a CO detector in the room,
in case the woodstove is not completely airtight.

Nick