[Greenbuilding] Wood Heating Experience & Exterior Wood Boiler charging Thermal Tank for Radiant Heat

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 24 13:21:05 CST 2011

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:54:52 -0500, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Sacie Lambertson <
> sacie.lambertson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *If you have a drafty house, you need to keep the fire going to maintain
>> somewhat even temperature.  However, with a tight house, a hot
>> intermittent fire heats the house and the house holds the heat.*
>>
>> Would this assertion be true regardless of the size of the house?  Or
>> the
>> size of the stove?

Once a house is well insulated and an effective air barrier strategy has
been implemented, in a heating climate, the heat loss as a result of
required ventilation air changes will be ~ equal to or exceed the heat
loss due to conduction and radiation. (I'll assume the detailing will have
been done properly so convection losses would be insignificant.

Clearly then, simply heating the interior air volume isn't a very
effective means of keeping the house warm.

I'd suggest to Eli to focus on envelope improvements first and rather than
invest resources in paraphernalia like outdoor boilers etc, invest in
incorporating more interior thermal mass (preferably charged by passive
means) and if the climate justifies, heat recovery on the exhaust air
stream.

It was around minus 20 here last night and probably minus 10 to minus 15
today. The last time the tiny woodstove (the only auxiliary heat source in
this house of >2700 sf with high/double-height ceilings) was lit was late
last night and I don't expect that it will be lit again until late
tonight. I can't imagine having a outdoor wood boiler here as the
auxiliary heatsource. It'd be like keeping a Panzer tank out in the yard
"just in case", and that "case" would never, ever happen.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")