[Greenbuilding] Martha Stewart

Tim Vireo Keating t.keating at rainforestrelief.org
Fri Feb 18 21:25:02 CST 2011

When we went after Kmart for their sales of outdoor furniture made of
nyatoh, a wood logged from old-growth rainforests in Indonesia, MS
was one of the first entities to say they would phase it out. While
it took them a little while (and in the meantime, they changed the
language on the Kmart website to describe the furniture as made from
"solid hardwood" instead of using the term "nyatoh") they did
eventually shift to other materials. We never did an action in front
of a Kmart store, while we did have to do that in front of Crate &
Barrel, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Target and others.

I think that some PR firms contracted by certain companies are simply
more apt to discuss 'exposure' and public perception than others. I'd
be surprised if there was any genuine embrace of the reality of the
destruction of the planet in connection with what they are selling.

tim keating

At 12:07 PM -0500 2/10/11, Jason Holstine wrote:
>MS partnered with one of the national tract builders (KB I think) to
>build a NZE model home for the NAHB Builders Show in Orlando last
>month. She just put her marketing label on it to provide that
>bravado and $$--bonus she now gets to promote this angle. A
>different form of greenwashing in my judgment-a shallow
>johnny-come-lately but I grudgingly have to give some props for at
>least paying creed to the concepts. It's a showpiece and will become
>an "option" for buyers--I'm guessing they'll use it as a
>test-the-waters to see if they get response and want to expand
>offerings or prove to themselves that people aren't interested in
>green.
>

>On 2/10/11 7:30 AM, "Gennaro Brooks-Church" <<>info at ecobrooklyn.com> wrote:
>
>According to the add she has built a Net Zero home.
>Which is great.
>What irks me are the motives behind her actions.
>I guess you see that a lot.
>People doing great green things but not because they care about green.
>
>But maybe it does not matter? We seem to be genetically designed to
>compete for survival. And we do it well.
>What is more important, our survival or mother earth? You can say they
>are connected but not necessarily so. We aren't living like Native
>Americans any more.
>Maybe mother earth is just a stepping stone for humans now. Once we
>exhaust it we will be technologically advanced enough to colonize
>other planets. If we keep on our current path I think that is the
>inevitable route. Whether we are able to expand and colonize is more
>the question. Whether we destroy earth is less of a question if we
>look at earth now vs. a thousand years ago.
>
>Gennaro Brooks-Church
>
>Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
>www.EcoBrooklyn.com
>22 2nd St; Brooklyn, NY 11231
>

>On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:20 PM, Kathy Cochran
><<>kathys_old_house at goldrush.com> wrote:
>>  That's GREAT for a long-lasting chuckle!  Somehow, I don't think you're
>>  missing the boat too much, Gennaro!
>>

>>  From: <>greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org

"The Earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the
measure of our bodies are the same..."
     	                               - Hinmaton Yalatkit, Nez Perce chief

R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T        R   E   L   I   E   F

Sparing  the  World's  Rainforests  from  Consumption

Rainforest Relief works to protect the world's remaining tropical
and temperate rainforests by reducing the demand for the products
and materials of rainforest destruction such as timber and paper,
industrial agricultural products such as bananas, beef, coffee,
chocolate and cut flowers, and mining products
such as oil, gold and aluminum.

New York, NY: (917) 543-4064
Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
http://www.rainforestrelief.org
info at rainforestrelief.org
Church Street Station * PO Box 298 * NY, NY 10008-0298