[Greenbuilding] The role of PV in achieving NZE

Gordon Howell -- Howell Mayhew Engineering ghowell at hme.ca
Wed Jan 26 15:53:10 CST 2011

Hello John:

a) Thanks for your comments.  I am appreciating the GBL list and the
people expressing their expertise.  I wasn't wanting to be
obstructing... but I felt that Ross used a few hot words that I
suggest needed to be challenged.  That's why I addressed my comments
to him directly, rather than comment on the expertise of people on
the list generally.  I apologise for being derogatory.  I should have
been clearer.

b) Re the Riverdale NZE house energy consumption, as viewed on page 7
of its profile
<http://www.riverdalenetzero.ca/Riverdale_NetZero_house_--_project_profile.pdf>
.
    ----- May I suggest that it is important to clarify what the term
"energy use" means.  The PassivHaus standard is NOT 15 kWh/year/m2 of
space heating, but rather it is 15 kWh/year/m2 of net energy
consumption for space heating from the grid (if I am understanding
correctly) -- a biiiiig difference.  The PassivHaus net energy
consumption is net of its internal gains and passive solar gains
(please provide any correction on this).
    ----- The RNZ house uses 33 kWh/year/m2 of space heating -- this
is how much energy passes out through the house envelope regardless
of where the energy is source.  The RNZ space heating is provided by
a number of factors, as shown on the profile:  this includes internal
electricity gains, internal people gains and passive solar.  So the
net space heating requirements for RNZ are: Space heating incl fans =
33.65 kWh/m2 plus mechanical ventilation = 2.02 minus usable passive
solar space heating = 6.88 (37% is useable) minus useable internal
gains = 4.13 (25% is useable), minus active solar space heating =
9.57 giving a net space heating requirement of 15.08 kWh/year/m2.
    ----- How would a PH house do this same type of accounting in
order to achieve 15 kWh/year/m2?
    ----- So may I suggest that an apples and apples comparison be made.
    ----- I can't imagine a NZE house being rationally made without
being at least really close to the PH standard.

c) I agree with you re the Kamloops DreamHome COP...  time will tell,
I am sure.

I appreciate your viewpoints and challenge.

+Gordon