[Greenbuilding] Cob as an alternative to spray foam sealant?

natural building naturalbuilding at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 27 17:58:44 CST 2011

Steve, a minor correction: the Pumice comes from Mt. Garibaldi just
north of Whistler, but still well within the 'local' range.  And
Perlite - which Ann and Gord have experimented with - comes from
Northern Oregon which I also think qualifies as within acceptable
distance according to the Living Building Challenge criteria that
allow light materials to be transported 1000 miles. Perlite is
definitely light.

So I would suggest that the use of Perlite as a very natural and bio-
degradable insulating material is considerably more preferable than
oil-based foams which, in addition to having high embodied energy and
being environmentally unfriendly, also renders the other materials
onto which it is sprayed incapable of being re-used or recycled
effectively.

Regards,
Steve Satow

www.naturalbuildingsite.net