[Greenbuilding] Cob as an alternative to spray foam sealant?

Frank Cetera alchemicalfranklen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 11:16:08 CST 2011

I'd like to know the same thing Steve (using a clay slip mixture, what's the
perlite for?).  Even if no one has ever attempted it, is there anyone that
can provide any professional opinion on the matter?

Steve Satow, would it be a big deal if the cob shrank when it dried when
filling in shell air gaps?  If you dabbed the cob across any gaps and left
extra on the sides to shrink some?  How much does cob typically shrink?

"Ever since then,
I've had the idea kicking around in my head to try a clay slip/perlite
mixture sprayed into wall cavities like gunnite or shotcrete, anyone
know if this has ever been attempted?

I know it wouldn't be nearly as airtight or as insulating as spray
foam, but it would be better than nothing and still completely
biodegradable. :)"

~Frank
www.alchemicalnursery.org

Message: 5