[Greenbuilding] Natura paint

Jason Holstine jason at amicusgreen.com
Mon Jan 31 00:22:24 CST 2011

Rob,

Slightly overgeneralizing, there are 2 categories: clay paints and clay
plasters.
For clay paints, Bioshield is the main manufacturer. They apply the same as
a latex paint to drywall. They will have some texture, so a little more
depth than a latex paint. They aren¹t really meant to get wet so in a wet or
splashable area you can protect them with wall glaze or wax finish. They
breathe a little. We nickname them a poor man¹s clay plaster b/c you can get
some cool benefits and do cool stuff with them, just less than plasters.

A plaster is typically troweled on. Has a lot more opportunity for finishes,
combining textures and colors, and faux finishing. The biggest name is
American Clay, but there are a few other names on the market now. And of
course there are old school venetian and lime plaster options but those are
really for the pros to apply.

That¹s the basic primer.

HTH,

Jason Holstine

Amicus Green Building Center
³Sustain Your Space²
Member - USGBC, GreenAmerica, NARI, NAHB
e: jason at amicusgreen.com
w: www.amicusgreen.com
p: 301-571-8590
tf: 866-587-9140