[Greenbuilding] Need opinions on siding and progress report

Bobbi Chukran bobbi at bobbichukran.com
Sun Jul 24 08:19:58 CDT 2011

Hi all,

Thanks again to all of you who answered my questions about insulation
in our new/old 1930 house.  We decided to wait until after the AC was
installed (because of issues with installing the ductwork in the
attic), and the house was leveled (happening now).  I am glad we
waited because we've found that the house is a perfect example of
balloon framing.  So we're rethinking everything we ever knew about
insulation.  LOL.  In general, I'm caulking every crack I can find
like there's no tomorrow, and trying not to think about the wide
gaping holes in the floors where some walls were taken down.
Hopefully, after all the construction is done, we plan to insulate
from the bottom, then add the attic insulation. Then some in the
walls, if we don't go broke before then.

We did get two beautiful solar attic fans installed, and those help
to keep the attic cooler.  We've had over 40 days of over 100-degree
temps., so every little bit helps.  The new AC works like a charm,
amazingly enough.  We keep it set high, and it still cools enough so
that we can work inside.  I'm loving the new Carrier two-speed unit
*so far* but wonder how it'll do at dehumidifying.  We shall see.

So, to my question.  The house is encased in aluminum siding.  UGH.
It still looks great, but I'd love to paint it.  Right now, it's
stark white.  The original ship-lap wooden siding is underneath with
peeling paint, but I have no way of knowing the condition of most of
the original wood.  Since we've found no other signs of rot, mold,
etc. I imagine it's in good shape.  There are overhangs and awnings
over every window, deep porches, gutters, etc.

Is there a "green" reason to leave the aluminum on there?  Does it
reflect enough heat to make the trade-off worth it considering there
are a million places we can't caulk?  I'd love to replace it all with
Hardi-Plank, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.  The aluminum
on the sides looks OK, but otherwise, it looks like hell--in good
shape, but butt ugly.  So that's a consideration, too.

Thanks!

bobbi c.
Leander and Taylor, TX
http://www.twosisters1930cottage.blogspot.com/