[Greenbuilding] Foam insulation advice needed

Bobbi Chukran bobbi.chukran at suddenlink.net
Mon Jun 13 12:54:23 CDT 2011

We finally got some info. from the insulation guy for our new/old home.

He proposes using an open cell foam, Demilec Selection 500 in the
attic rafters.  I'm concerned because even though the company has
LEED ratings, etc. that product is still polyurethane based.

I mentioned that I wanted water-sprayed, and indeed that product is,
but I'm still leery of the health issues.  Since I'm chemically
sensitive and have asthma, and since we'll be working in the house
(although I won't be in the attic) for months, then living in it, I
have to be cautious.

All of the green building info. sites say it's a great product for
insulating a home.  But what about the health of the inhabitants?
That's what I have to worry about, foremost.

Any cautions, comments, etc. about this product?  Thanks!

bobbi c.
Leander and Taylor, TX