[Greenbuilding] Foam insulation advice needed

RT Archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Jun 14 13:11:21 CDT 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:54:23 -0400, Bobbi Chukran
<bobbi.chukran at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> We finally got some info. from the insulation guy for our new/old home.
>
> He proposes using an open cell foam, Demilec Selection 500 in the attic
> rafters.  I'm concerned because even though the company has LEED
> ratings, etc. that product is still polyurethane based.
>
> I mentioned that I wanted water-sprayed, and indeed that product is, but
> I'm still leery of the health issues.  Since I'm chemically sensitive
> and have asthma, and since we'll be working in the house (although I
> won't be in the attic) for months, then living in it, I have to be
> cautious.

Like Mike, I too am late coming into this thread and don't know what's
already been discussed.

But in seeing the subject heading, I did wonder if airKrete had been
considered ?

http://www.airkretecanada.com/

Chemically-inert, non-petroleum-based non-toxic at all stages, fireproof,
mould-proof, shrink-proof, non-echoing and so-on,and so-on.

At the above link I see that Al Gore used it for his home so presumably
the product is available in the US ?

I also wondered if Icynene had been considered ?

http://www.icynene.com/testimonials/

Greenies seem to like the stuff, even if it is a foamed plast-ecchhh!.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom