[Greenbuilding] Fwd: energy savings myths

JOHN SALMEN terrain at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 17 18:55:42 CST 2011

An example for me is a school renovation I was working on plans for and was
wanting reduce to reduce energy consumption (first order condition). For
comparison I looked at other 'energy efficient' newer schools (better
insulated, hvac, lighting, etc.)  Ironically the school I was working
consumed less energy than any other school. It was a waldorf school which
does not use electronic media or computers as part of its curriculum.
Lighting levels were also more typically varied and lower.

That accounted for the use of less energy on a per student and facility size
basis but the place could still definitely become more energy efficient in
its own right - even though it had achieved the erroneous status as the most
'energy efficient' school.