[Greenbuilding] looking for best 4' and 8' fluorescent shop light

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Tue Oct 4 15:28:52 CDT 2011

Hi Reuben,

That type and number of lamps is going to depend on several variables:

1. Are you talking about bare-bulb down lights? Surface-mounted? Suspended?
2. How high is the ceiling?
3. How dark are the surfaces in the space?
4. How much brightness do you need/want?
5. How even do you want/need the lighting to be?
6. How often will the lights will be on? (If infrequently, perhaps
you needn't agonize so much over getting the highest efficacy.)

And probably some other variables as well.

If you're talking about direct downlight, the efficacy will just be a
matter of the lumen output divided by the watts. There's no
significant efficiency loss due to the fixture (i.e. no
shade/diffuser) assuming a decent reflector above the bulbs. There is
some variation in ballast efficacy, but I suspect that so long as you
select an Energy Star labelled electronic ballast, the difference
isn't that great.

Another minor variable: colder color/higher temperature fluorescents
will usually have a higher efficacy.

You can also dig a bit into http://www.nema.org/lampballastmatrix/

This database,
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=lighting.pr_lighting_subcomponents,
is still under development.

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291