[Greenbuilding] sealing plywood floor?

Douglas E Lamb douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com
Tue Apr 3 15:13:45 CDT 2012

Mr. Gennaro Brooks-Church,

Too many elements generate problems for wood materials in areas below grade.
Moisture being the most pervasive.
Treating wood to combat the effects of moisture may create more problems
than they solves.
Off Gassing by the compounds in the materials used to coat the wood and
prevent moisture from damaging it comes to mind.
Appropriate ventilation will be required just to handle this condition.

To offset the amount of moisture below grade in an enclosed space may
require a dehumidifier.
Then the issue becomes contradictory.
That is to say that the wood may become so dried out due to the
dehumidifying effects that it wrought in both directions.
Moisture leaching into the wood by proximity to the foundation walls and
moisture extracted from the wood by virtue of the dehumidification causing
it to warp.
The sealant issue between the foundation and the wood cannot guarantee the
prevention of moisture leaching into the wood.

The balancing act to maintain equilibrium between the all methods would be
quite a feat.
This is why I believe it is thus a silly idea to put wood in close proximity
with the basement floor slab.
Regardless of the added sand and insulation and surface coating protection.

Sleepers may solve the problem as long as air can flow between the concrete
and the wood.
Then if you want the spongy feel of insulation and sand between the layers
of plywood under your feet.
This may work.
But keeping the whole floor assembly away form the foundation walls is still
a main concern form my vantage point.
If I am mistaken in my appraisal of this issue please advise.

Regards,
Doug Lamb
douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com