[Greenbuilding] The Rebound Effect: Real, but Not Very Large

peterkidd at shaw.ca peterkidd at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 7 12:22:43 CDT 2012

 From ACEE:

As the energy efficiency of products, homes, and businesses improves,
it becomes less expensive to operate them. The rebound effect
postulates that people increase their use of products and facilities
as a result of this reduction in operating costs, thereby reducing the
energy savings achieved. Periodically, some analysts raise questions
about the rebound effect, arguing that it is a major factor that needs
to be accounted for when analyzing energy efficiency programs. The
most recent example is a report by the Institute for Energy Research,
an organization that primarily works on oil, gas, coal, and
electricity markets. In order to address these recurring arguments,
today ACEEE released a white paper entitled The Rebound Effect: Large
or Small? The paper is written in a "question and answer" format
designed to summarize what we know, what we do not, and---given what
we know---how large the rebound effect is likely to be. The paper
examines both direct and indirect rebound effects.

To continue reading the blog post
visit:http://aceee.org/blog/2012/08/rebound-effect-real-not-very-large.

To go directly to the white paper visit:
http://aceee.org/white-paper/rebound-effect-large-or-small.