[Greenbuilding] passive house: a fresh look from PHIUS

Eli Talking elitalking at rockbridge.net
Mon Aug 20 09:22:37 CDT 2012

Cheap energy is the enemy of achieving a sustainable energy use pattern.  Natural Gas harvested through fracking is another incremental environmental disaster.  The permanent consumption by contamination of water injected deep in the ground withdraws permanently from the hydrological cycle, making fresh water a non renewable resource also.
This is a quote at bottom of the article about PH approach, and N Am based approaches.

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/new-passivhaus-standard-north-america?utm_source=PHAUS+member+list+March+2012&utm_campaign=12ab9c43d2-week_4_May_2012_Newsletter5_15_2012&utm_medium=email

After Klingenberg had shared her hope that the Passivhaus approach will eventually become standard practice in North America, Joe Lstiburek, a well-known building scientist as well as one of the conference hosts, stood up. “I’m going to have the last word on this,” said Lstiburek. “We have an incredible amount of natural gas coming online at a very low cost. If this proposal becomes a political program, it might work in France, but it won’t work in the U.S. We have cheap gas, low energy costs, and plentiful energy supplies, so this isn’t going to fly. If you want to change the world, this can’t become a boutique program like R2000 in Canada. The world around you is also changing — politics and the energy situation are both changing.”