[Greenbuilding] The Rebound Effect: Real, but Not Very Large

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:05:59 CDT 2012

Yeah, not very comprehensive. ACEEE has refused to acknowledge the full
context of the rebound effect from the get-go. European scholars have
always taken a more nuanced and detailed look at this subject. They find a
lot more kinds of rebounds and higher percentages than most in the U.S.

The one I'm interested in I call the institutional rebound, whereby energy
authorities (EPA, DOE, utilities, energy agencies, etc.) promote energy
efficient appliances in such a manner that the big, fancy, full-featured
ones always preferentially have the endorsement labels, are awarded higher
rebates, etc. The social message this sends is not an economic rebound but
rather a semiotic mystification. It suggests the established rules
(smaller, modest is going to use less energy) are obsolete.